Welcome to Jeff’s English Conversation Courses.
Stay tuned for a video about my Spring 2021 courses.
In the meantime, here are some important things to know about this course:
- When online, live Zoom classes will be held 2-3 hours/week
- During Zoom sessions, students will need to have their video on for most of class time
- There is no textbook for this course, but there will be assignments including occasional audio and video recorded tasks.
If you’d like to receive pre-semester notifications about the course and possible online events in February, you can join this Band now.
This course is designed to help students improve their English speaking skills and prepare for the modern, multicultural work and social environments they will experience after graduation. Class activities and projects will address future job skills and modern literacies including:
- Cultural Literacy
- Financial & Economic Literacy
- Media Literacy
- Tech Literacy
- Social Issues & Current Events
- Health and Well-being
- Personal and Professional Social Skills
- Creativity & Critical Thinking
Students will have input into these topics and others that may be covered. This is a very interactive course. Students will spend much of their class time engaging with other students in small groups and partner activities. While the emphasis is on speaking practice, other skills including listening, reading, writing, and vocabulary development will also be addressed. Students will have the option of producing different types of output including videos, personal websites, and digital portfolios. They will be encouraged (but not required) to share these publicly in hopes of connecting with people outside of our classroom.