These questions can be used as part of partner or group discussion activities in ESL classes or ‘get acquainted’ questions for any class. These questions can also be used for solo recordings as speaking practice or midterm/final assessment (see below).
Food for Thought Questions (Part#2)
- What makes you angry? What makes you smile? Why?
- What’s something most people don’t know about you?
- When was the last time you tried something new? How did it go?
- What’s something you are self-conscious about?
- What is your favorite or least favorite sound?
- What is something you will NEVER do again?
- What ‘dream jobs’ did you have as a child? What are your dream jobs now?
- Of all the couples you know, who has the best/worst relationship? Why?
- How do you deal with disagreements in a relationship? Avoidance or confrontation?
- What are the most important things you’re looking for in a significant other?
- Would you prefer to have a busy career or be a stay-at-home parent?
- What is the greatest peer pressure you’ve ever experienced?
- Describe your perfect date.
- What are your dating ‘red flags’ or ‘deal breakers’?
- If you had to choose between lots of love and very little money or lots of money and very little love for the rest of your life, which would you choose?
- What do you like most/least about your country?
- Which movie have you watched the most times? Why do you like it?
- Would you send your children overseas alone in order to develop their language skills?
- What is your most beloved childhood memory?
- If you could change one thing about yourself, what would it be?
- If you could change one thing about someone else, what would it be?
- What do you think of plastic surgery? Why do you think it’s so popular in Korea?
- How would you raise your children differently from the way your parents raised you?
- What do you think happens after we die?
- What would your vision of heaven be like?
- What’s the one thing you’d like others to remember about you at the end of your life?
- If you could build your dream house, how would you design it?
- What is the most defining moment of your life thus far?
- If you could hug one person, who would you like to hug?
- What was the best gift you ever received? Why?
- If you could live one day over again, which day would you choose? Why? Would you live it the exact same way or change something about it?
- If you could change your nationality, which country would you like to become a citizen of?
- What is your least favorite chore?
- If someone gave you an envelope with your death date inside of it, would you open it?
- Who is the most unusual person you ever met?
- Do you think crying is a sign of weakness or strength?
- Who can you impersonate? (do an imitation of)
- Have you ever stalked someone on social media?
- What is your favorite song lyric?
- How do you feel about ‘friending’ parents or teachers on social media?
You will be asked to record two solo videos. Each video should be 1-3 minutes. Recording can be done in your own solo breakout room or with your phone.
1) Prepared Question: You can choose any food for thought question above At the beginning of class, you will be given 10 minutes to record a selfie video. You can prepare your answer and even look at notes, but the goal is to sound as prepared, natural, and engaging as possible.
2) Impromptu Question: After recording your prepared video, you will be given another ‘Food for Thought’ type of question that is NOT
on the list. You will have another 10 minutes to record a selfie video.