Get Acquainted Questions & Activities
These are questions and activities that can be used during Week#1 ‘Get Acquainted’ activities at the beginning of a school year or new semester. Students can look through these beforehand, select their favorites, and think about answers. Students can feel free to also think of other questions they’d like to ask as they get to know their classmates.
Round 1 – Introduce yourselves and take turns asking each other questions. Take notes about each person. You’ll need to describe them during…
Round 2 – Students ‘jigsaw’ so that new groups include one member from each previous group. Members take turns telling their new group members about each person from their first group, including themselves.
Partner Rotation/Speed Dating
Students will have 5-10 minutes with a partner to ask each other any of the questions below. After the designated time, you will be paired with a new partner and repeat.
Get Acquainted Questions
- Where are you originally from? Where do you live now? (Where in…..?)
- How many people are there in your family? How many brothers and sisters do you have?
- Do you have a boy/girlfriend? What is he/she like? How did you meet?
- How do you feel being back at school?
Which courses are you looking forward to or dreading this semester?
- What do you hope to get out of this class? What are your goals for this semester?
- Have you had any part-time jobs? Where did you work? How was it?
- What do you plan to do after you graduate? What are your career goals? What is your dream job?
- How was your vacation? Highlights? Lowlights? Memorable Experiences? (travel, work romance, movies, shopping, sports, etc.)
- What do you like to do in your free time?
- What’s on your mind these days? What are you thinking, reading, or talking about?
- What was your most interesting travel experience?
- Tell us about the first time you … (traveled overseas, fell in love, got drunk, etc.)
- What/Who is your favorite….color, snack food, fruit, actor, TV Show, sport, smell …? Why?
- What kind of (music, food, books, games, YouTube channels, etc.) do you like?
- Do you like animals? Do you have any pets? Why?/Why not?
Getting to know you better
- What are some small things that make your day better?
- What’s the farthest you’ve ever been from home?
- What fictional place would you most like to go to?
- What are you addicted to?
- What is something you will NEVER do again?
- What’s something that drives you crazy? Why?
- Are you usually early or late? Why?
- What is something that your friends would consider “so you”?
- What do you spend too much time doing? not enough time doing?
- What is your ideal way to spend the weekend?
- What is the most annoying question that people ask you?
- What would be some of the most annoying things about having yourself as a roommate?
- When do you feel most like yourself?
- Are you more like your mother or your father? In what ways?
- What is the best case scenario for your life in 10 years (personal goals, job, lovelife, location, etc.)?