The first interview is an unusually honest and emotionally raw talk show appearance. Comedian Jerrod Carmichael talks to Seth Meyers about a conversation he had with his parents only minutes before going on air. He had come out during a recently released stand-up special. The second video was recorded a couple of weeks later. and the final video is his monologue from SNL (shortly after the Will Smith slap).
March 27: The Slap
April 1: Stand-up special released on HBO
April 3: SNL Monologue
April 7: Seth Meyers Show
April 15: The Daily Show
April 27: Howard Stern Show
- Video 1 (Seth Meyers): Jerrod Carmichael Shares How His Family Reacted to His Coming Out in Rothaniel
- Video 2 (Daily Show): Jerrod Carmichael – Processing Life, Comedy in Real Time | The Daily Show
- Video 3 (Howard Stern): How Jerrod Carmichael’s Parents Reacted to Him Coming Out in His Stand-Up Special
- Video 4 (SNL): Jerrod Carmichael Monologue – SNL
- Have you ever kept a secret from loved ones that caused you pain inside?
- Do your behaviors ever conflict with the values of your family and/or religion?
Do you do anything they consider morally wrong or sinful?
- Have you ever shared an important secret with parents or other loved ones?
How did you share it? How did it go?
- Which aspects of your personal life do you share with your parents? Which aspects don’t you?
- What was the most difficult conversation you’ve had with your parents?
- Do you know people who have ‘come out’ in Korea? How did it go?
- How would your parents react to one of their children telling them they were gay?
- foster care
- cognitive dissonance
- brash persona
- caught me off guard