Week#1 Topics: Summer’s Here!, Setting Goals, & Free Speech of Students
To stay up to date with ‘English with Jeff’ experimentation,
you can join the Band, follow on Instagram, and/or subscribe to the Newsletter.
You can suggest a topic and/or sign-up to participate in an upcoming show here.
English with Jeff – Week#1 Materials
Summer Solstice Readings & Videos
- Solstice Facts
- 15 Facts About the Summer Solstice
- Summer solstice
- 13 Fascinating Summer Solstice Celebrations Around the World
- What is the Equinox and Solstice?
Summer Discussion Questions
- What are your favorite summer memories from childhood?
- What were your most memorable summers?
- What do you like most and least about summer?
- Are there any special foods you like to eat in summer?
- Do you associate any sounds or smells with summer?
- Are there any songs that remind you of a particular summer?
- Does your country have any unique summer traditions?
- Does your family have any special summer traditions?
- What are your favorite indoor and outdoor places to be in summer?
- What is your ‘song of the summer’ this year?
- What are your plans for this summer?
- How is Covid-19 affecting your summer?
Share your favorite summer memories on Flipgrid
- Summer in the City The Lovin’ Spoonful — Summer In The City (1966)
- Under the Boardwalk The Drifters – Under the Boardwalk
- Summer Nights (Grease) Grease – Summer Nights HD
- Summer of 69 Bryan Adams – Summer Of ’69 (Official Music Video)
- Cruel Summer (Bananarama) Bananarama – Cruel Summer (Official Video)
- Summertime Sadness Lana Del Rey – Summertime Sadness (Official Music Video)
- Summer (Calvin Harris) Calvin Harris – Summer (Official Video)
- Cruel Summer (Taylor Swift) Taylor Swift – Cruel Summer (Official Audio)
Summer Viewing (TV Shows/Movies)
- 500 Days of Summer
- Friends (The One at the Beach)
- Dirty Dancing
- Sex & The City (Twenty-Something Girls vs. Thirty-Something Women)
Different Approaches & Resources
- Miracle Morning (personal experience) (summary)
- SMART Goals
Specific. Measurable. Attainable. Relevant. Time Bound.
- Atomic Habits
- Your Best Year Ever
- The Book of Mistakes
- The Art of Setting Smart Goals
Goal Discussion Questions
- What are some goals from the past that you achieved and didn’t achieve?
- Do you have any special approach for achieving your goals?
- Do you usually set small realistic goals or big ‘aim for the stars’ goals?
- Are your goals usually ‘SMART’? (Specific, Measurable, Attainable, Relevant, Time Bound)
- If you fall short of a goal, do you usually give up or keep trying?
- Do you think it’s better to set a goal and fail or not set a goal at all?
- Do you think it’s possible to be too goal-oriented?
- What are the most important factors that determine whether someone achieves their goals or not?
- What time of day are you most productive?
- What else affects your productivity – food, drink, relationships, health, other?
- What do you like or dislike about the Miracle Morning Approach? Do you think it would work for you?
- What are your ‘SMART’ goals for this summer?
- What are your long-term life goals?
Share your Summer 2021 Goals: Padlet Flipgrid
Student Free Speech
- Supreme Court sides with high school cheerleader who cursed online (annotated)
- Supreme Court Rules For Cheerleader In Free Speech Case (annotated)
- The ‘F*** Everything’ Cheerleader Gets How the World Works. The Supreme Court Justices Do Not.
- Where do you think schools should ‘draw the line’ on student free speech?
- What is OK for students to say while in school? What is acceptable? What is not acceptable?
- Do you think schools have the right to take any action against students for what they do outside of school or online?
- How should rights change based on age?
- What free speech rights do teachers have? Should they be able to complain about students or school administration?
- Have you ever felt like your free speech rights have been violated?
- Have you ever crossed any free speech lines?
Leave a Reply